hoops4health children’s basketball program
This program is designed for children in preschool through 12th grade. The youngest children (ages 4 – 6) develop a love for the game while learning the fundamentals such as dribbling and ball handling. They also get an opportunity to develop basic motor skills, fine-tune their hand-eye coordination and enjoy a great physical workout.
Additional skills are added for 1st graders, including shooting, passing, rebounding and defensive play. Games are played at this level to teach rules, proper spacing and teamwork.
Not sure what to do with your child during school breaks? Community House Winnetka holds Hoops4Health camps on various days and weeks when school is out of session. Sign up your grade-school, junior high or high school students and let them enjoy their time off by honing their basketball skills while spending time with friends.
The Community House Youth Basketball League
If your 1st- through 3rd-grade boy or girl is interested in playing basketball against other area players, and you don’t want the hassle of traveling to a different location for every game, then this program is ideal for your family! Participants learn fundamental skills through weekly practice and games, and they receive a team t-shirt and commemorative basketball. All games are coached by adult volunteers and staffed by referees and timekeepers.
Equipment usage and rules vary by age:
- 1st-graders: youth-size basketballs and eight-foot rims
- 2nd-graders: youth-size basketballs and nine-foot rims
- 3rd-graders: youth-size basketballs, nine-foot rims, full-court play and scorekeeping
What you need to know about this league:
- Teams are generally established according to school.
- Each team practices for one hour during the week, with a time slot between 5 pm and 8 pm. There are two weeks of practice before the first game.
- Games are played on Saturdays between 10 am and 6 pm; exact times are assigned at a later date.
- Team information (roster, practice and game times, coach, etc.) will be available on or before December 6, 2018, at quickscores.com/wch.
- Registration Deadline: 12/20/2019
- League Start Date: Week of January 6th
Calling All Volunteer Adult Coaches
Are you a basketball enthusiast interested in passing on your skills and knowledge of the game? Community House Winnetka is looking for adult volunteers to coach 1st- through 3rd-graders enrolled in our Youth Basketball League. Sign up to be a volunteer coach at quickscores.com/wch
A coaches meeting will be held on Monday, December 2nd, 2019.
Our basketball programs teach children the fundamentals of basketball in a fun, exciting and generally non-competitive environment. The goal is to encourage a love of the game, foster teamwork and provide a healthy physical activity for children of all ages.
Enjoy a pick-up game with your friends, meet new people and have fun. Individuals of all ages and skill levels are welcome! Simply adjust the backboards and rims from 8 to 10 feet to meet your needs. Locker rooms and showers are available. A daily fee is required from each player, with the exception of Fitness Center members. Check the posted schedule or call for times at 847-446-0537.