The Community House is home to the North Shore Art League, and award-winning theatre programs.
We are innovators that look to introduce new programs and experiences.
We are proud to educate the next generation.
our mission statement
The Community House Winnetka is a unique nonprofit organization on Chicago’s North Shore that has played a special role in the community for more than a century. Founded in 1911, the mission of Community House is to enrich the lives of North Shore residents, their families, and friends by providing educational, cultural, social and recreational opportunities for people of all ages.
In addition to classes, programs, and special events for every member of the family, Community House has a full-service Fitness Center and full gymnasium available to users. Theater and dance productions are held year-round in historic Matz Hall, thanks to groups like Children’s Theater of Winnetka and Village Follies.
The facility also hosts weddings, business meetings, Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, as well as housing some of the North Shore’s key nonprofit organizations such as the North Shore Art League, Junior League of Evanston – North Shore and the Winnetka Youth Organization.
Community House is a privately supported organization that does not receive tax dollars. Please support our mission so we can continue to support our community!
The Community House, a 3-acre community center, was originally built in 1911 and expanded several times since then. Architect Arthur Coffin designed the building primarily in the Tudor Revival style, although his design also incorporates elements of the Prairie School genre.
The earliest programs were designed to foster good character and included several clubs for boys and girls, gymnasium classes, dancing, basketball, scouts, Campfire Girls, photography, chorus, orchestra, and tennis. Adults were attracted by social activities, civic discussions, and sports. Community outreach, including English classes for immigrants and a community health nurse, was integral to early offerings.
In the 100+ years since its opening, Community House has become a vital part of the North Shore. The Community House building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.